Hair is merely dead protein filaments, with each follicle being placed deep within the dermis or the inner layer of the skin.
Only the cells that lie beneath the surface of the skin and inside the follicles are alive.
The main component of hair is known as Keratin. Long and lustrous hair has been always regarded as a sign of health and vitality, and the secret behind it lies in eating a healthy clean diet and having a proper hair care regimen.
Proper hair care basically includes moisturizing and cleansing the hair and scalp regularly, which helps to eradicate some of the more common problems like, hair breakage, split ends, thinning hair, excessive hair fall, dandruff etc.
The benefits of natural oils, including Coconut Oil has been experienced by millions to alleviate these problems. The benefits include:
- Softer more supple shiny hair
- Saves hair from stripping protein out of the hair from harsh shampoos
- Has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties
- Heals common scalp problems such as pimples of the scalp
- Heals insect bites
- Effective in keeping lice away from the scalp (yes, black people can get lice too!)
- An excellent emollient because of the rich source of fatty acids like oleic, linoleic lauric, capric, caprylic, myristic and palmitic acids
- Provides moisture to the scalp and hair and is ideal for dry crunchy hair
- Rich in Vitamin E which is a powerful antioxidant
- Anti-fungal, anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties
I personally massage coconut oil into my scalp at least two times per week. It soothes my scalp and does wonders for my hair. I do not experience breakage and my Sisterlocks ™ have a sheen that you rarely get from other products. I highly recommend ANYONE to try Coconut Oil for their hair care needs.
See and feel the difference for yourself!
What is your opinion? How do you feel about using natural oils versus commercial pomades? Have you ever used Coconut Oil for your hair before? What was your experience?